scholar awards program
- The Tony Jannus Distinguished Aviation Society promotes and provides financial support to students enrolled in college level courses leading to a degree in fields related to potential careers in scheduled commercial aviation at colleges and universities.
Jannus Scholars program
- In January of 1914, Tony Jannus flew a paying passenger from St. Petersburg to Tampa in a Benoist airboat. This achievement established the Tampa Bay area as the home of the first scheduled commercial airline. Each year, the Tony Jannus Distinguished Aviation Society celebrates this historic aviation achievement by recognizing a distinguished individual for outstanding contributions to scheduled air transportation. The society also looks to the future by awarding scholars awards to several eligble college students seeking degrees that could result in careers in aviation. For 2018, the Society is planning to issue at least six awards of $3,000 each.
How to Apply
- The awards applicants must meet the following criteria and conditions:
- Part 1 - A one (1) page cover letter providing the Applicant's personal contact information along with a personal statement requesting consideration to become a "Tony Jannus Scholar."
- Part 2 - A one (1) page letter from a University/College official in support of the Applicant's request and statement attesting to the Applicant's good academic standing as supported by a G.P.A of 3.0 or higher.
- Part 3 - A supporting essay of 300 to 500 words clearly outlining:
- a. How and when the Applicant first became interested in aviation.
- b. How aviation has already impacted life choices related to academic, service, and/or occupation decisions.
- c. How Tony Jannus has affected the Applicant's existing thinking with respect to aviation as a potential career.
- d. Any additional personal observations the Applicant considers relevant to the Committee's evaluation process.
- Applicants will be evaluated on the following criteria: academic achievement; quality of essay; general accomplishments; demonstrated commitment to aviation and subjective factors as deemed appropriate by the Committee.
- Previous Award Recipients are not eligible to apply.
Applications must be emailed to the Jannus Scholars Committee Chair, Laddie Irion, at email@example.com no later than October 12, 2018.