scholar awards program
- The Tony Jannus Distinguished Aviation Society promotes and provides financial support to students enrolled in college level courses leading to a degree in fields related to potential careers in scheduled commercial aviation at colleges and universities.
- In January of 1914, Tony Jannus flew a Benoist airboat from St. Petersburg to Tampa and established the Bay Area as the home of the first scheduled airline. Each year, the Tony Jannus Distinguished Aviation Society honors a historic aviation achievement by recognizing a distinguished individual for outstanding contributions to scheduled air transportation. The society also looks to the future by awarding six scholars awards totaling $15,000 to aspiring aviation leaders enrolled at institutions of higher learning.
How to Apply
- The awards applicants must meet the following criteria and conditions:
- Part 1 - A one (1) page cover letter providing the Applicant's personal contact information along with a personal statement requesting consideration to become a "Tony Jannus Scholar."
- Part 2 - A one (1) page letter from a University/College official in support of the Applicant's request and statement attesting to the Applicant's good academic standing as supported by a G.P.A of 3.0 or higher.
- Part 3 - A supporting essay of 300 to 500 words clearly outlining:
- a. How and when the Applicant first became interested in aviation.
- b. How aviation has already impacted life choices related to academic, service, and/or occupation decisions.
- c. How Tony Jannus has affected the Applicant's existing thinking with respect to aviation as a potential career.
- d. Any additional personal observations the Applicant considers relevant to the Committee's evaluation process.
- Applicants will be evaluated on the following criteria: academic achievement; quality of essay; general accomplishments; demonstrated commitment to aviation and subjective factors as deemed appropriate by the Committee.
- Previous Award Recipients are not eligible to apply
Applications must be emailed to the Jannus Scholars Committee Chair, Laddie Irion, at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than October, 2018.